Friday, April 23, 2010

Camp Love Story

So Kelly's Korner is doing show us your life today and she's 'McLinky'ing people who will tell their stories of how they met their spouse. I love telling our love story so I'm participating! Even though i'm sure most of you know this story, maybe a new reader will come on over and read too. But really i think that God was so much in charge of our meeting and story that i always love to share about how God works in ways that sometimes we least expect it, and actually when Audie and I stopped looking for someone to spend our lives with is exactly when God decided to introduce us.

So approaching the summer after my junior year of college (about 4 years ago actually) i was all set to go back home for the summer and work as a youth intern at a church that i had worked at the summer before. I drove home after finals, my car full of stuff from my dorm room. When i got home my mom told me that she had gotten a call from the church and that the position i was suppose to fill, was no longer available. So suddenly i had to figure out what i wanted to do that summer. so i started calling and emailing everyone i knew pretty much to see if they had any job available 'cause i was suddenly without something to do! One of the people that i called was my friend Hannah and she was working at a camp for the summer and she said that they did still need summer counselors. She decided to talk to her boss and his boss and see if they could find a time to call for an interview. The next day i got a phone interview and they said that they did want me to come and work at the camp for the summer. So of course the first question i had was when should i come up there, and they told me that new counselor training started the next day at noon, and if i could get there by then then great and if not to get there as soon as i could. WOAH! talk about moving fast, my mom and i stopped everything and tried to pack for a summer of working at camp, but had really no idea what i was getting into. Little did i know that Audie was Hannah's boss that summer and was on the phone for that interview. I met him the next day as i checked in for new counselor training.

Little did i know that Audie wasn't supposed to be at camp that summer either. He had worked at camp for 6 previous summers but had not worked there for 2 years. He was living at home with his parents and working full time but felt a calling to go back to camp for the summer. He really couldn't figure out why that was, but talked to his parents about it. They really discouraged him to go, why would he give up a full time job for a summer at camp, with only a small possibility that he'd get a job after the summer was over. He decided to come to camp anyway. We met and he knew immediately why he was there, and i did too.

So that's how we met, we went on our first date over the mini camp break we had in the middle of the summer. The next year (really 365 days later) we got married at my home church. and then we moved to NC so i could go to seminary. Four years after we met, and now 3 years after we were married we still credit our meeting to God alone.

Yesterday was my last day of classes in my Seminary career!! i still have finals ahead of me but i'm done with classes and i'm so excited about our next steps. We'll be moving in May and then i'll be starting a job as a full time Chaplain.

Hope you enjoy our story and have a love of your life too!!

Julia

1 comment:

Abbey @ Practically Perfect said...

Aww...I love your story! I remember how everything played out as it was happening...and I remember meeting Audie for the first time!