Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Getting ready

After a weekend of packing and getting stuff done at the new apartment i knew that this week i would need to work on getting our apartment in Durham ready for all our family to arrive this weekend. This week is cleaning focused, because there is no one that you clean more for that when your mom and grandma come to visit!! What is it about that? I just want to clean the whole house so they can see how i'm a real adult, that is capable of turning all the chores they made me do all the time into real skills of keeping up my own house! Does that ever go away? I'm not sure that it does.

So yesterday I went through each room and cleaned up by straightening (which is the worst chore by far to me!) There are always papers and random things that make their way to the shelves, table tops, dresser tops, nightstands, and every other flat surface that need to be put away, thrown away and taken care of. Then I packed away all that stuff that has to make it to the new apartment and it making clutter in our current place.

I also packed up all my clothes, going through each one and getting rid of a lot for the yard sale that don't fit or I just don't wear anymore, i am hoping to build my wardrobe up with professional clothes for work and i had some things to get rid of. I kept out what i needed for the next week or so. I have about 6 pairs of shoes left out and one suitcase full of clothes left. Audie took all my clothes that we left (a huge rubbermaid tub full) and shoes (another tub full) over to the new place.

I also got my hair cut! It's a lot shorter than it was before, but i haven't gotten a hair cut since January and probably won't get another one for a while so i decided to make it count. I got it done in a place in Burlington - which is about a 45 minute drive from here, and 1 hour 15 from our new house, so that's a bit far to drive for a haircut. It was an Aveda Salon, so it staffed by the people that teach or have gone to the Aveda School in Chapel Hill (i may go there next time, it's closer, supposed to be cheaper and my friend Danielle is going there so hopefully she'll have a good experience, and can tell me all about it.) But either place, you get a mini relaxation session (a mini facial, scalp massage or hand massage) SO nice!!! The lady that cut my hair actually is a supervisor at the school, so she is more expensive than others, I paid 40 dollars for a shampoo, mini facial, cut and style. Which is pretty good price, it's a ton cheaper than the other places i have found in Durham for sure!! My friend Sarah went with me and she only paid 25 because her guy had only been out of school since August, and he did a great job too!

Today on the plan is to do dishes and Laundry, including washing sheets for our guests, dusting the whole place (we really need this to be done!!) and cleaning the stove top/counter tops and table tops around the house!

Ok got to get going so i don't spend the WHOLE day doing that, got to have time to relax and enjoy my summer too!

Julia

No comments: