Thursday, January 28, 2010

Did i do what i said i would?

Well i did get both of my papers done and everything read for my classes this week, but i didn't keep my promise to myself to not stay up too late working on them. I worked on my first paper on Monday,and finished about half that night. then i finished the other half while in between classes. Tuesday night i started to go through the commentaries that i had photocopied from the library to use as sources. by the time i got done at 11 i had a good idea of how this sermon/paper was going to go but didn't know about how to format it.

So i emailed my professor my question and got the response i wanted, how i was planning on writing this thing was how she wanted us to do it. So that meant i could start working for real. So i got an outline together of exactly what I wanted to talk about in the sermon, and also what i wanted to mention in my exegetical notes (basically all the stuff that i learned through research, that may or may not impact the sermon directly, but is important background for me to know before preaching -this was where i had some trouble with formatting) But i got all my stuff outlined and wrote a 2 page description of my context for 'preaching' this sermon. (which actually will never be preached) and went off to class yesterday afternoon.

When i got home I sat down to really kick out the sermon and notes, but figured i should finish the sermon first because that is the point of the assignment and if the notes aren't good then it will be ok. I finished the sermon about 10 PM. yeah it took me 6 hours to write a 16 minute sermon. then i had to work on the notes, and that took about 4 hours. I basically did my writing part while i was in the groove and decided to do the footnotes of where i got my information in between classes the next day. It was 2 am when i got in bed and i was tired!

So today after lunch i finished off my notes by putting in the footnotes! that wasn't that bad and it's always the most tedious part of any paper so i usually make it wait until last. Well now i'm just trying to stay awake until my next round of classes. The two papers are all printed and stapled and ready to be taken off my hands.

tonight's plan: rest and relaxation! and dinner with some good friends of our at Elmo's (an awesome diner in Durham) (and i'm pumped because the friends are taking us to dinner!! it's a thanks for doing all you do kind of thing, so i'm not complaining.)

ok love to all!

Julia

No comments: